Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I've Been Duper


Robert Frost's Road Not Taken is a poem that I would recommend anyone, who's anyone, to read. It's a great poem. I've read it millions of times throughout my school-years whilst sitting in the classroom. I didn't read it millions of times because it was assigned but because many of my teachers displayed the poem on their walls. Sometimes you get bored, I mean, you need inspiration. It was a very inspirational poem, or so I thought. You see, I think we've all been duped. I think Robert Frost forgot to add the last line, “Just joking.”

There is no “Road less traveled”. There is no proud moment where he looks back and goes, “I took the one less traveled by; And that has made all the difference.” In the tenth line, the narrator says that the roads were traveled or “worn them really about the same.” I don't think this symbolizes the famous “separate but equal” phrase. There is no “Road less traveled” because you can't have a road less traveled when both roads were traveled the same. It's not a proud moment at the end because the narrator says, “I shall be telling this with a sigh.” If I won a lottery, I wouldn't sigh and talk about how I regret picking the winning number over the losing one. I would rejoice. If he was so proud, he wouldn't have to tell the story with a sigh. When all is said and done, I give this poem four thumbs up.

Submitted by Phesethpong Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment