Thursday, June 24, 2010

Oedipus the King

I found myself enjoying this short play. Plot twists play a large part in many major Hollywood motion pictures, and it's entertaining to see that plot twists were used so long ago in plays. How a man goes from being born into royalty only to be disregarded and taken in by another royal party is a very interesting concept. Out of his own fears of prophecy, he runs away from his home only to eventually do exactly as it was foretold he would. He goes from being a savior to his people to being the cause of the entire kingdoms misfortunes. The play also allowed for a lot of visualization with regards especially to how Jocasta killed herself, and Oedipus' gouging his own eyes. I would probably read other works by Sophocles as I really found myself enjoying this piece more than I had believed I would when I started to read it. Below is a link to part 1 of a 12 part play on Youtube on Oedipus the King, which I found to be interesting.
Submitted by Barry Erlandson

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this play. When I first started reading it, I found myself putting the book down. Once I finally got into reading it, I found that I actually enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the twists that were in the story.

    ReplyDelete